Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Little Bit of Archaeology

I am a archaeologist now. My next project was to excavate this old museum and find what is inside. Okay, I'm not really an archaeologist but, i still was going to dig in this museum. This is one of those old toys where you break apart the object with some tools and get the prize inside. The first thing I tried was the hammer. I hit the toy over and over. It crumbled a little bit, but not that much. Next I tried the shovel. I scratched at the museum over and over with some luck. Not much though. Eventually I got tired of digging so I chucked the toy at a wall. It crumbled to a pile of sand.

Next was the harder part. Putting the pieces of a dinosaur skull inside together. I popped the jaw together. Then the top of the skull. Now was the hardest part. The chin. For some reason I was having trouble putting the chin together. Eventually I had to ask my mom to pop it together.


Digging out that dinosaur skull was fun, and for some reason it reminded me of the Natural History Museum dinosaur exhibit. Did you know the exhibit has more than 600 dinosaur fossils? My favorite fossil is of the Triceratops. Did you know that a Triceratops's head is one third as long as their body? Also nobody knows for sure what a Triceratops would use it's horns for. Also did you know that the person who discovered the Triceratops thought it was a ancient buffalo? Weird right? I hope I can go to that museum again. You should try it too.


About the Triceratops: http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/dinosaurbasics/a/tricerafacts.htm
Natural History Museum: http://www.naturalhistory.com


No comments:

Post a Comment