Monday, September 6, 2010

A Little Bit of Rockets



Two days ago, my sister, my brother and I built two model rockets. Yesterday we went out to a soccer field by my house and launched the rockets. The big rocket we had got stuck in a tree. My grandpa and my dad took this giant branch and pulled the rocket out of the tree. Eventually kids came to play soccer. They were all getting sidetracked watching us launch rockets. After a while the launch system broke. The rockets wouldn't launch. My dad and I went home to get batteries. We got four AAs and one 9V (the 9V just in case the AAs didn't work). When we put the new batteries in the launch system they didn't help, so my dad cut the wires and told me to create a closed circuit so the rockets would launch (a closed circuit is a pathway of electricity without any openings). To make a closed circuit I took the wires and attached one to one side of the battery, and attached the other wire to the other side of the battery. The rockets worked again! Once we ran out of normal engines for the rockets, we started using strong ones. The tiny rocket we had was fine with the new engine. The big rocket was a different story. For the big rocket we used an engine that shoots the parachute in the rocket, when the rocket is still going fast. When the rocket went in the air the nose cone shot off into the trees (with the parachute attached to the nose cone). We left soon after that A. because one of our only two rockets didn't work B. because we didn't want to launch a rocket into the soccer game these kids were playing. Model rockets are fun. You should make one (or two) sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment